Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Double loaders...

I'm not real good at explaining the bits but I'll have a go:

In section 15 (on the last page) it says:
"... said horn increases uniformly in cross-section along its length and characterized further in that the opening in said partition is smaller than the cross-sectional area of the horn at the same point, the area of said opening being so related to the cross-sectional area of the horn at said point as to constitute an acoustic filter adapted to pass only vibrations below substantially a predetermined frequency."

This "opening" is in the partition between the upper and lower bits of the speaker and after the 'labyrinth' in the top section. So, he's got the back wave going 1) into an acoutic chamber, 2) through the first part of the bass horn, 3) through another constriction ("acoustic filter") and finally, 4) through the bottom section of the bass horn.

In figure 3 of the patent, the "opening" are both 21's, "the horn" which is "uniformly in cross-section along its length" is 19a and 19b, and the acoustic chamber I mentioned is 27.

So it seems he's got 2 acoustic filters in series to reduce higher frequencies, one of which is about halfway along the bass horn. I'm not sure that I've ever seen this idea in use, and I'm a bit doubtful that it would work in the manner which he intends.

J

P.S. Anyway, I'm not going to put this into practice - I'm just looking at the basic framework of FLH+BLH.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Double loaders... - Cloth Ears (Melb) 21:57:11 02/06/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.