Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: A Story of Harmonics

"The violinist thought his Stradavarious sounded more like a real violin on a SET amp, although it still didn't sound like a Stradavarious. "

Where, in the story below, does it say the Benny listened to a recording of his violin? It doesn't, it said the police had him listen to his violin. We have to assume the police had a different violin player come down to the police station and play different violins, including Benny's and Benny, even though he was blindfolded, picked his violin.

*The police after finding the Stradivarius violin back wants to be sure that it really is the correct violin of Benny Kim, so they blindfold him and make him listen to a number of different violins at the police station, can he recognise his violin ?
Probably yes, for a trained ear it should be easy, but Benny is sitting in a police office and is under stress and not in his familiar surroundings (conservatorium or practising room ) and still he probably manages to recognise his violin.*

"IMH and unlearned opinion a lot of it comes down to side-harmonics. Class AB amps somehow self-cancel the side harmonics, and thereby reduce the amount of musical information the ear/brain receives."

By "Class AB amps" I am assuming you mean push pull amplifiers running in Class AB?

A push pull amplifier will cancel even ordered harmonics that are created in the push pull part of the circuit. Even ordered harmonics that are part of the input signal, as well as anything else that is part of the input signal, are not canceled by the push pull circuit, just the even ordered harmonic distortion that is created by the push pull circuit itself.

"I think a good analogy is MP3 vs WAV. The side-harmonics is exactly what the MP3 guts out of the music. Just throws it away. Anybody who isn't deaf can hear a WAV file sounds better than an MP3."

I agree with the last sentence but the parts of the music that are intentionally thrown away as part of the process of making a MP3 has nothing to do with push pull circuits and the canceling of even ordered harmonic distortion. Not even close, so it's not a good analogy at all.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 12/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.