Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Maxing stock chokes and DHT filament transformers

I suppose the issue is this.
Most have experienced good results by going to a larger gauge wire in some application, an example being, people tinkering with car audio are well served using large gauge wire. It is needed to pass the low voltage high current to the amp, then high wattage current to the subs etc.

It is also practice, (not just in this field) to use smaller gauged wires to pass higher voltages. In North American households 120V @~2000 watts is passed through 14 gauge solid wire.

These amplifiers draw a fraction of what the power circuits can provide.
So it stands to reason that 22AWG is suitable to pass 400+ volts at some milliamps,as the wattage is very low in comparison.

It is not clear the benefit of using such think wire when there is no evidence that the 22awg is insufficient for the voltage and current in that location in the amplifier.

Comparing it to speaker wire is not really applicable, as the voltage is stepped down after the OPT and in that case it stands to reason that the wire be a little bigger then the high voltage-low amp stage.
△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.