Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Why is the EE closed minded?

Unfortunately I have to take Jeff's side on this one. I did engineering and engineering related work for 27 years and while I have moved on to another field, it doesn't mean I don't remember the practical aspects.
My experience taught me that just because a person has the education and has worked in a capacity for a period of time doesn't make him the equal of all in that area of expertise. Engineers are like anyone else, there are great ones and sh*tty ones. More sh*tty than great in my experience.
I worked with a lot of engineers over the years that weren't worth a damn in practical matters. They could spout off endless calculations and what their profs told them were best practices but when it came down to the actual project decisions they were at a loss. This is in industries as diverse as robotics, aircraft design, underground mining vehicles and refineries. There is just no substitute for experience and if you think that's not the case, you're likely a pencil pushing desk jockey with no real practical experience.
So, bottom line, while I disagree with Jeff most of the time I also appreciate his 30 plus years of actually making amplifiers. Lots of them. I read about his projects in Sound Practices in the 90's and they weren't my style then or now but I give credit where it's due. He's done the real work to have an opinion and I'll support his right to have that opinion.
I certainly think that many posters here haven't got the hours in with a soldering iron to challenge what he thinks he hears and are just reciting Crowhurst or Jones or whoever they relate to. While I'm a bit short of Jeff's hours, I have made a large number of amps and preamps of a wide variety of designs and not all of them sucked. Many of them would be ridiculed by the so called experts here because I didn't follow your idol's path. I'm good with that. You should be too.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.