Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: I apologize for butting in

I was part of a group buy from Electraprint a number of years ago and I bought two pairs of the groups' 3.8K primary transformers. One pair is set up like a normal transformer with lead-outs added on and the other pair have the magnet wire coming out directly from the windings. This pair were the prototype and apparently the only difference between them was the lead outs. The DCR is very close on all four transformers.
I still have both pairs but only made an amp with one set (300B SE). I think it would be educational to compare the two varieties and hear what if any difference the lead outs in identical transformers actually makes.
I'm sure I could rig something up to make them switchable in the same amp and get a better idea if there is a subjective difference.
Unfortunately, I sold my Altec 604-8G's last month so the comparison would be with a pair of Altec Model 19 instead. That might be an issue for JM but shouldn't be a show stopper.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.