Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

actually there is a lot to be learned from 'each side."

believe it or not I have become an advocate of blind auditioning. It was "objectivists" that lead me to read the scientific literature on bias effects. I think of all people JJ has learned a lot from subjectivists and has come to understand the merits of euphonic colorations through rigorous testing rather than just dismissing such preferences so often held by subjectivists out of hand.

Sure we can just throw our hands up and say we disagree. But we learn nothing from one another that way. I actually think these things are worth investigating and debating.

The conflict between my perceptions and what always seemed like a very reasonable perspective of objectivism never really sat well with me when I got into high end audio. In all other fields I would probably be considered an objectivist and skeptic. I think I have actually learned a lot in trying to sort out these conflicts.

This post was just one of many observations I have made in sorting out where each side tends to go wrong generally speaking. The only way you have a standing fued for 30 years is if both sides are making gross errors and both sides are refusing to consider the other side's points. Some say just walk away. I say jump in and learn.

Obviously such critical examination of one's personal beliefs is scary at times. look how much Pat gets shaken up by posts like this one. He will probably make 20 or more posts on this thread before it is done all in an attempt to obfuscate because the idea that his guys might actually be doing something wrong scares the crap out of him. I feel sorry for Pat actually. He's going to be in the mud arguing for god knows how much of his life time and never learn a thing from all of it.

I have learned a lot from objectivists in trying to resolve (at least in my own mind) the conflicts between the two camps. But I have also learned a lot *about* them as a group along the way including the major flaws in their belief systems.Oh and the same for subjectivists. Lots flaws found there as well. Lots.

Of course the biggest lesson was and still is 90% of the debate is ego based. No one can learn anything from the other side until they clear that hurdle.

Now I'll sit back and watch Pat obfuscate for another 10 or 15 more posts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.