Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: If you want a real goal to work for: 1kB of loaded code.

"I think you have opened up another lane. How would one do this? Is it written up somewhere?"

Not to my knowledge. I wrote programs that ran a sound card stand-alone. It would "record" for a few seconds storing audio into RAM and then "play" back the contents of RAM. This was just a very simple program that I wrote in an afternoon so two other friends could debug a sound card we had built. There were only about 100 lines of machine code involved in this, but then the sound card was very simple, e.g. programmed I/O, no memory mapping, etc.

Anyone building a bespoke computer controlled audio product would have the necessary skills to build such a test vehicle. If one wanted to play pre-recorded music files then one would need to have loaded these into RAM memory beginning at some predefined location, as could be done by code running under an existing operating system. At this point one would have to suspend the entire operating system and transfer control to the tiny "microsystem". In addition to understanding how the sound card works, one would need to understand how the CPU works in terms of kernel level coding, memory mapping, etc. This is the kind of project that one can do in "an afternoon" but it may take months of learning about the hardware and software environment and available tools before getting to this point.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.