Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You are NOT alone, but impatience and

The same things happen when the hardware and power supplies are improved and when the machine is made totally headless without any form of display etc. The same things also happen with cpu core isolation and priority re-assignment.

I can offer assurances based on experience, not speculation, that a system using an industrial-quality CPU c/w a good linear power supply and configured as you suggest benefits greatly from the measures Serge and others describe under the general heading of "OS Slimming".

As an example, simply removing the Resources in a small number of key OS files such as shell32.dll can radically change the sound quality of a PC-based system. If, as happens, the changes are not uniformly for the better, the remedy lies elsewhere.

To argue otherwise is to introduce a logical absurdity - that the presence of software crud with no function in a dedicated audio system (and precious little in a workaday one) is a prerequisite to optimal performance.

The notion is IMFFHO too fatuous to discuss but, if you find it hard to accept, just try opening the likes of shell32.dll in a Resource Editor. In, say, the XP Pro version you'll find dozens of bitmaps for Win 2K and XP Embedded and scores of icons neither of us has ever seen on any monitor.

cMP sticks to low quality power supplies and allegedly defeats jitter using standard pc hardware.

No such claim is made. I don't know why you and others feel so strongly the urge to talk nonsense about the cMP2 approach - it's not as if you've ever heard one. What are you so frightened of?

In any case, "OS Slimming" has little to do with cics's approach except insofar as the latter provided a starting point for the former. As it goes, I suspect cics agrees with you on this one. Which makes you both wrong, I fear.

And while we're at it, the notion of deleting superfluous resources has nothing to do with cics - it was first suggested by a lad from France who seems to have quit the forum shortly after describing his results.

You have 100 variables, how many permutations are there to adopt? 100 x 99 x98 ------ all the way to x1!

You'll need to clarify that one. I fear you won't.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.