Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

You are NOT alone, but impatience and

indecision will be what I'd call the worst friends on this route.
First, You have to decide once and for all, if it's just a player of Your choice in a full fledged machine, or a dedicated server, and, as You are complaining about cplay, then it's going to be a cmp-cplay server.
IF it's a cmp-cplay server, then You will soon learn that cplay sounds worse alone, than through cmp.
2. If You start slimming cmp machine, You will soon notice, that the sound is getting more and more resolute, but a lot of familiar sounds in familiar songs will change drastically, they will even change place and not only depth-wise, Every step You take will peel another murky film from the sound screen, and AS A SIDE EFFECT, the sound will get dry, dry dry, more and more dry and precise, untill You reach appr 20 mb threshold and 0,5 mb threshold on the registry size. When You reach this, substitute fonts, reduce video, there will be a kind of breakthrough, a very big leap forward, when You would not be even anticipaiting any major progress. The sound will loose all character, that we usually speak of. It will be aggressive on some wavs and smooth on others, but it will be the sound of original recording, not Your computer. It will only have one characteristic effortless representation of sonic truth to appr. 95% of what's there.
the highs will be super resolute but silky smooth, even "furry", the bass from even small speakers will be very precise and surprisingly deep. The mids will have the depth and sonic truth, when You will say, - A-ha, That's What they really were playing, then...
We have the precedent when one of our most active cmp-slimmers would suddenly loose patience and stop in the middle. He hasn't reached the threshold and now is saying that cd player sounds better. So, it's decide and be patient and do not waver. Just walk this way to the end ONCE.
I know that it SEEMS very long and hard and maybe unnecessary, but it's a hobby, isn't it, so why not educate Yourself. At least You will know from Your OWN experience, what slimming the OS brings. If You are not ready, try to listen to Winamp. It's not dry and is sounding good for many.
Serge.
If You want to use windows 7 or anything beyond XP, You better try jplay.

Edits: 05/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.