Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Don't be so naive

Read the first postings after ANY review of a DAC that doesn't support DSD.

It's always the same: It doesn't do DSD. Strike it off my list!

Who cares if the average music lover has precisely zero recordings on DSD and in the next five years will acquire a similarly impressive no DSD recordings? Who cares if the sum total of DSD recordings worth owning, as one of my writers so succinctly put it, "can be counted on the fingers of one knee?" Who cares if, in the process of trying to shoe-horn DSD into a DAC to tick a box on the spec sheet, it ruins the sound of many budget DACs (which would, incidentally, be better served topping out at 24/96 in the vast majority of cases)? Who cares if the said DAC is hand-built by elven folk and costs as much as a small French village, or is made by the million and costs as much as a tube of Pringles?

It doesn't do DSD. Strike it off my list!

This is the same thing as the video enthusiasts' sudden and disasterous obsession with DVD-Audio and SACD in the early 2000s. They didn't develop an overnight interest in SACD and they sure as hell didn't get it from the magazines, who initially dismissed the inclusion of these 'audiophool' formats as a pointless specification chase. It came from the buyers, pure and simple. Over the course of about a month or two, it became functionally impossible to recommend or sell a DVD-Video player unless it had SACD and DVD-Audio support, and some very good players ended up as landfill as a result.

For my part, I'd like to see recommendations of DACs based on performance, not acronyms. But, if you like a DAC with DSD today, you are an industry-promoting shill; if you like a DAC that only does PCM, you're a luddite.

-

Editor, Hi-Fi Plus magazine, Lun-duhnn, Ingerland, innit

Edits: 04/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Don't be so naive - Alan Sircom 12:14:21 04/09/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.