Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The correct principle is that a rising tide raises all boats

Ralph;

Thanks for shining a light on reviewing that most of us consumers would never know of, much less encounter.

The fact (I'll call it that since I am taking your word) that a reviewer requested a free product in lieu of a favorable review is awful for a couple of reasons.

1) That a reviewer would be so bold as to request such a thing tells me that type of thing has been done before. This may explain his/her lack of shame in doing so.

2) That a reviewer is in such bad shape financially that he/she has to resort to such tactics. I presume this is being done because either the reviewer cannot afford the gear, or he/she intends to sell the piece to subsidize their income.

It makes me wonder just how many audio reviewers are making a viable living from reviewing only, without the support of another income/job. I'm guessing less than 25 in the world, but I may be far off the mark - dunno?

By viable I mean;

1) Own a home.

2) Own a decent car.

3) Have a retirement plan/pension that does not include social security.

4) Able to have a health, dental and vision plan that is either employee sponsored, or one is able to earn enough to pay the hefty premium out of money earned from their income.

5) Take a vacation every year that is not audio (work) related.

My father in law told me many years ago that if what you do doesn't meet the above criteria then it's not a job - it's a hobby.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The correct principle is that a rising tide raises all boats - geezerrocket 10:50:09 04/14/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.