Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

TAS Spencer Holbert's Shameful Admission.

I received my Absolute Sound today and was reading a review of the Rotel RDD 1580 DAC by Spencer Holbert.

The meat of the review I did not take exception to. It was the fact that he refused to divulge the mystery DAC that was so thoroughly trounced by the Rotel RDD-1580. Here is a excerpt from TAS:

With the comparison DAC the effect was "similar", but the soundstage was truncated, never extending beyond the edges of the speakers, and about half the depth.This was using the same USB cable, the same computer - the same everything. For the same price, the RDD-1580 put the comparison DAC to shame, and was far more engaging in it's ability elicit a viceral response to the music. Several times during the track "Discovering" I caught myself clenching my fists and sliding toward the edge of my seat, all because the RDD-1580 made the music that much more gripping.

Ok; great DAC. What is the "comparison" DAC that was as Spencer put it, "put to shame"?

In the comments following the online review one reader asks; "Did I miss something, or did the author really refuse to say what the comparison DAC was?" To which the author replies;

"I admit, guilty as charged. But I feel it is not my place to denigrate companies, but rather point out the good ones. I think it would be unwise to be too negative about a brand, because they can turn around and come out with great products overnight. Rotel had some rough years, but they have really made a comeback."

What bravery! This kind of SH!T makes me want to puke!

Certain editors of magazines wonder why subcribers question their integrity and ethics.

We sure wouldn't want upset the company of the "comparison" DAC, as they might not be so intersted in doing business with us in the future........

I wonder if reviewers at TAS are issued one of these (pictured) when they accept a position at TAS?

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Adendum

I find it curious that only one reviewer thus far has chimed in. It makes me wonder if there is a unwritten rule amongst reviewers to not have an opinion in a public forum that may be seen as critical or supportive to one of their own - curious......

Edits: 04/07/14 04/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - TAS Spencer Holbert's Shameful Admission. - geezerrocket 10:48:49 04/07/14 (84)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.