Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

The correct principle is that a rising tide raises all boats

and its easy to show that its unethical to do a negative review.

We've been through this one before so in a nutshell:

A bad review can occur because:
1) the reviewer is incompetent at setup
2) the reviewer made a mistake and won't man up to it
3) the reviewer might have a personal beef with the manufacturer, unrelated to the product
4) the reviewer might be asked to write a negative review based on the fact that the manufacturer is not an advertiser
5) a product is damaged in shipment, and the manufacturer is not allowed to repair it
6) there could be politics with another manufacturer/advertiser
7) a magazine, wanting to show that they have 'hard hitting journalism' will select a sacrificial lamb (manufacturer), one that cannot fight back due to their small size or the like.
8) a reviewer/magazine is carrying out a vendetta against the manufacturer. This is not quite the same as 3)

I've seen all of the above.

If a product does not measure up to some sort of minimum standard, the best policy is to not write anything about it and return the un-reviewed product. Out of sight: out of mind.

If you look at Car and Driver, they have shootouts all the time. Imagine them doing a bad review of a car because it does not stack up to some unknown car of which nothing is revealed. That would never fly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.