Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Nope. I agree why is he required to diss something not about the reviewed product? not...

Elizabeth,

As the original poster I can tell you for a fact that if the "comparison" DAC were divulged I certainly wouldn't go around saying that "XYZ is crap on a stick" as I am too busy with my life, wife, kids, paying for their higher education etc....

As far as your assumption (and that's exactly what it is) of me wanting "one more bad shit thing to add to his (my) list" - PULLLEEEZZZ!

All I want to do is to make an informed decision on a DAC purchase. I happen to be in the market for a sub $1000 DAC and it would be nice to know the DAC that was "shamed" by the Rotel RRD-1580 in view of the reviewer - NOTHING MORE!

As far as hate mongering goes; The reviewer, Mr. Holbert, was the one that said "for the same price the RRD-1580 put the other DAC to SHAME."

Now I don't know about you, but when a reviewer says item A puts item B to shame - that's a pretty damn strong statement. He didn't state that the Rotel sightly edged the competing DAC, it shamed it! The reviewer is not required to "diss" something, but he chose to.

If the fact that I and many others on this forum choose to hold the reviewer(s) accountable for what they write and what they omit bothers you then I can assure you I couldn't give a rusty Fu@€!

Could you imagine if a first flight reviewer such as Michael Fremer tried to pass off a review such as this? Where he compared one turntable to another a stated that turntable A "shamed" turntable B, and then did not divulge the manufacturer and model of the inferior table? He would be laughed to scorn!

Thankfully Mr. Fremer is a great reviewer that gives more of a shit about his reputation than offending a manufacturer (witness his recent review of the class D Levinson amps). Mr. Fremer also has an equally competent editor that I'm guessing would not allow that type of printed dreck to see the light of day.

If I were the manufacturer of the comparison DAC that was "dissed", then I would want to know about it so I could get back to the drawing board to make improvements to the product. I would not want the commoners to tell me how beautiful my clothes were when I was naked.

Maybe if the reviewer in question finds divulging comparison equipment that has been shamed by a competing piece of gear too difficult, perhaps he could stick to reviewing the items such as the one pictured in the original post - a ball washer. Ball washers are used to WASH balls.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.