Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

What I am realizing is the reviewer community is a club...

with a symbiotic relationship with the manufacturers. That is to be expected, but it limits the reviewers' effectiveness. Their opinions DO hold some sway as the audiophile community is small, reads reviews, and reviews do help popularize gear, which adds resale value.

The reviewers are, at the least, able to obtain gear at cost. And that is fine. But a reviewer who constantly criticizes gear will get shut out of that privilege, by either no longer being loaned gear for review and possible purchase or, worse yet, no longer being asked to review at all!

There is a degree of honesty that is possible. But this is a carefully balanced relationship, that, like a marriage, must balance hard honesty with goodwill to keep the marriage afloat!

Even before TAS accepted advertising, if they had laid bare in their fashion of writing solely criticism of weaknesses of each piece of gear, eventually they would have been given nothing to review. As in every relationship, each piece of stereo gear has its good and bad points.

Nobody wants to be stuck sleeping on the couch, even if they do have a gorgeous looking and sounding amplifier to keep them warm...

Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.