Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: One or two things.

"We should be able to determine conveniently what's being reviewed, what's different or distinct about the component, the price (E.g., I may not want to spend lots of time wading through a review of a $50K amplifier.), and the gist of what the reviewer thought about the component. Also helpful would be what the good and less good features were, how the component compares to other possible choices in the same category, and what other alternatives may be available.

Rather than disregarding its readers, Stereophile's reviews generally include a labeled conclusory paragraph (from which you can easily get a quickie insight), comparisons with other components in the paragraphs just before that, a box on the first review page defining the physical details including price and another box listing the equipment used in the review for support and comparison.

As for your other issues, those are editorial policies that I do not determine (although I do not necessarily disagree with those policies).

Kal

There are summary paragraphs and conclusionary paragraphs in the SF equipment reviews. - I was wrong to state otherwise, and was basing my comments on some of the other types of articles. However, for the most part, the summary paragraphs and conclusions don't include information that would be needed to make a rational decision regarding a given component. Such information would include the reviewers comments as to other choices available in the same category, and whether the reader could obtain a better value, e.g., with components A and B. - Again, this is a generalization, and I have seen exceptions to the above.

I would add that my comments about "meandering" reviews doesn't really apply to yours. I have been impressed with the clarity and informative nature of nearly all of them. (Another exception to the above was the excellent review of the Wagner Ring recording that appeared several months ago. As others have commented, that was an impressive, informative, scholarly article.)

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.