Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

We are doing that Mr. Kuller

You are not the only one who thinks reviews have more weight when there is more than one reviewer involved. Most speakers and some amps are being reviewed by up to 4 reviewers. Several manufacturers and distributors have expressed the same sentiment. The aspect that is very appealing to me is that it takes, to a large extent, the politics out of reviewing. It is pretty hard for 3 or more independent people to have the same influences cast upon them that one individual might. I will confess that it is easier to say something good about a product that is represented by a person I like than it is about product from a person I do not personally care for. It's something I have to watch carefully and not succomb to. And that has nothing to do with ad revenue or anything else of the sort. That is much easier for me to ignore. That is just something I have developed over the past 50 years.

The panel review also removes another important aspect, imho, and that is that it gets around the "reviewer as diva" syndrome. Panel reviews seem to focus more on the product than on the reviewer.

I agree than blind testing is not perfect, but niether is any other method of reviewing. We just completed a shootout of 14 different class D, T and gaincard amps. We used blind testing with a panel to accomplish that. Otherwise the logistics would have been horrendous. They already were. And our results will indicate not only that there was a difference, but what the difference was. I do not think such a comparison is worthless. Like any other review, it is just one snapshot, one morsel of info to help people decide.

See...even we can agree on something!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.