Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Sorry, you can't force that square peg into the round hole

In Reply to: Re: Understanding the reviewer posted by Avocat on March 20, 2007 at 11:24:20:

"no matter how hard you try....
In matters of art, - there is no right and wrong, - and no two people will agree on what makes a "good" component, or a "right" component. There are far two many variables in tastes, environments, budgets, and preferences to ever come to any kind of "consensus," - ever."

-- You seem to enjoy putting words in my mouth. - I didn't ask for a "right" or "wrong" decision, and I don't expect consensus. Instead, I'm merely asking that the reviewer give his honest opinion of the relative merits and cost/benefits of a reviewed component as it compares with others in the same category. - I'm not asking for or expecting an official SF judgement as to what's "best." I also suggested that reviews would be more helpful if they compared several components in the same category, rather than being devoted only to individual components as the are introduced. Incidentally, it's interesting that, as stated earlier, the music reviewers in SF manage to provide rather clear comparisons of the merits of several recordings of the same work, along with their opinions of how the recording under review compares with others. It's also interesting that most of the wine reviews I read manage to come up with comparative, even numerical ratings, wine tasting being at least as subjective as reviews of audio components. Also interesting that judges of beauty contests, dancers, skaters, and even dogs and cattle manage to come up with comparative ratings. In other words, you're repeating the usual mantra, but you're blowing smoke.
--------------------------------------------------------

"This is why blind testing remains relatively useless. More often, we can here differences without a blind test. "Goodness" and "badness" qualities that result from those tests will remain within a unique idiosyncratic, experiential, interpretation..."

What you are missing regarding my comments on blind testing is the fact that if the results from a particular test procedure are mixed, vague, or indecisive, that in itself is information that can be of significance to a potential purchaser. - For example, even if one learns that a majority (55%)of experienced listeners (selected by SF of course) preferred component A, but a minority (45%) favored component B, that information would be of interest to audiophiles considering A and B. Further, if and component A sells for $20,000 whereas component B sells for $2,000, that information would be of interest to an audiophile with a limited budget. You are also conveniently ignoring my suggestion that there should be a combination of several forms of evaluation and testing, including blind testing in some form.

----------------------------------------------------
"And finally, - the cost of high end audio equipment has only DECREASED! If you adjust for inflation, and "quality" of gear, - high quality, bang for the buck, gear has gotten cheaper. In the late 60s, - a really good High Fi costs as much as a really good family sedan...."

It't true that some modern components selling at reasonable prices can provide good response. But I consider most moderately priced systems to be lacking in either dynamic range, presence, accuracy, or the abilit to produce extended, flat bass at realistic volume levels. IMO, such "entry level" systems, for the most part, don't really provide the sense of excitement and satisfaction that one should expect from a truly "high fidelity" system.

Further, although some smaller systems are available at moderate prices, consider how a novice learns about the subject. For example, a novice picking up Sterephile, TAS, or the like would be shocked at the complexity and the prices. He picks up a copy of this month's Stereophile and learns that to purchase a stereo or surround system he has to choose six or seven components, and select speakers, amps, preamps, decks, even cables from any number of manufacturers. Further, he learns that decent (to him, "Class B or Class C") amps, speakers, decks, etc. sell for thousands of dollars, - (From a novice's perspective, who would want to waste his time and energy buying Class C or D components.) He then glances at the reviews, and again sees various esoteric components most offered at amazingly high prices. Finally, he learns that he can't listen to most of the recommended components at Best Buy or CC.

Again, my suggestion is that if SF or TAS were truly consumer-oriented, they could make some significant improvements.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.