Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Now maybe you understand why intelligent people...

Phil, this is part of what I wrote about DBT in 1979 !
This was an LTE to Dr. Lipshitz et al in TAA.
3/1979 pp 61-62
PARALLELING, MAGNETICS & Z

'A double blind listening test, while removing a subjective bias toward hearing differences that may not truly exist, unfortunately does nothing to remove bias toward NOT hearing any differences that may actually exist in equipment. Indeed a double blind testing situation could intimidate listener not to take a stance, since one could be embarrassed, if misled momentarily by a change in the quality of timbre of the musical source, to make what would seem to be a random decision. It seems we must invest a certain amount of faith in the objective integrity of the listener in any case. In conclusion, while I applaud any efforts to remove some of the inconsistencies in the listening tests, I believe a more technically accurate approach must be taken to correctly evaluate differences between equipment, that one must be willing to accept that others in the industry are also attempting to clarify understanding of the listening process. Ultimately, I hope that we can work together to advance audio design beyond the mysticism and sales hype that is present in so many instances, without irresponsibly disparaging much of the serious research aimed at improving the sonic qualities of existing audio equipment.'

I still stand behind my original statement.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.