Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Now maybe you understand why intelligent people...

John:

I certainly agree with that. It seems to me (based on my limited knowledge of the subject) that, while people like jj may have refined DBTs for their specific purposes not directly involving high end audio, there has been little effort expended to address the concerns you expressed with DBTs back in 1979. It was the limitations upon the current state of the art in blind testing as it applies to high end audio, as much as anything, that I hoped would get explored on this forum.

I have a new power line conditioner in my system that I've been experimenting with (sighted auditions). I'm amazed at the sonic differences I perceive in trying different combinations of equipment plugged in to my existing PLC and the new one.

To the absolute best of my knowledge, I have no preconceived expectations with respect to either PLC, and certainly none with respect to the various combinations I am trying. I would be shocked if the degree of differences I'm perceiving weren't real, and I will settle on the combination that works best for me based on my sighted auditions. On the other hand, because my own personal choices haven't been be validated scientifically, I won't be making any absolute claims about the effectiveness of either PLC. I may, however, with the appropriate disclaimer, share my impressions of both.

I understand there is no need for you to justify to me or anyone how you proceed in your research and design efforts. If I were a designer myself, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother with DBTs either. But I am curious enough to hope that someone will refine the blind testing process as it relates to high end audio, and, for once, perform some DBTs that, regardless of outcome, there can be common agreement as to the validity of such tests.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Now maybe you understand why intelligent people... - Phil Tower 11:16:51 11/20/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.