Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Echo threshold

>I don’t know of any research that shows that first reflections affect tonal character and alter imaging, other than corresponding cues being used for determining perception thresholds for the single reflection scenario.<

I believe that Haas demonstrated this in 1949.

>The experiments were simple A/B and without any controls, but if the effects were as pronounced as it is always claimed I should have heard something. Maybe the off-axis behaviour of my Genelec and Klein+Hummel is beyond reproach:-) Maybe any image change was masked by localisation blur.<

I've noticed three main phenomena as speakers were moved away from room boundaries: changes in the bass and midbass response, clearer sound (correlating to intelligibility), and better (or sometimes just different) imaging (correlating in part to differences in image spread and location). Pretty much what I'd expect on the basis of theory, except perhaps in the case of the effect on depth perception, which AFAIK hasn't been adequately explained in the scientific literature.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.