Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Echo threshold

>First reflections are typically within the fusion range and their amplitudes are within the range that has been shown to affect tonal character and alter imaging. Besides which, referring to the figure:

http://www.avguide.com/forums/first-reflections<

I don’t know of any research that shows that first reflections affect tonal character and alter imaging, other than corresponding cues being used for determining perception thresholds for the single reflection scenario.

Of course, treatment makes a huge improvement, on Ethan’s graph! As long as you don’t correlate such measurements with confirmed perception thresholds, measurements alone tell nothing about the audibility of the measured effects. Also, what is worrisome is that Ethan uses, again, the recording engineer/recording mike argument to make his case. A mike will record comb filters as audible coloration, because it doesn’t have the binaural decoloration mechanism humans have. Ethan should know that.

>The remarkable thing is that the brain can so effectively minimize combing of that sort (more effectively with both ears than one, as the Salomons paper points out). I'm not sure why your experiments didn't produce an audible result.<

The experiments were simple A/B and without any controls, but if the effects were as pronounced as it is always claimed I should have heard something. Maybe the off-axis behaviour of my Genelec and Klein+Hummel is beyond reproach:-) Maybe any image change was masked by localisation blur.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.