Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Early reflections: 5 ms time window for sound source localisation?

>In the time view, if one considers Heyser’s “determination of loudspeaker arrival time” and other work on measuring time / acoustic phase, one finds that even one full range driver can appear to be at different physical positions depending on frequency.<

Localisation blur is quite high anyway, when compared to localisation precision for sight, so any imprecision is possibly "masked" by the blur.

>To say short time delays do not matter, requires comparing two cases, one with and one without.
What kind of loudspeaker could be used for such a test which suppresses secondary radiations out to several or even 5 ms In time? What kind of loudspeaker could be used for this test which by itself appeared to be one source in time and space over a wide frequency range?<

If loudspeakers themselves are not capable of operating without any secondary radiation, then the question of baffle re-radiation becomes possibly moot.

>You mention you have Genelec’s. You will notice they take some pains to minimize the re-radiations from the baffle board region...<

The current line is called Minimum Diffraction Enclosure. I've also got a single 1029A of the previous line, the successor 8020 is a clear improvement.

>It would seem you’re a keen listener.<

I'd say I'm more a keen reader than a keen listener. Listening is just for pleasure, I don't spend hours in "critical listening mode". I did some homework before buying my current speakers, discovered the work of Toole and Olive and selected the speakers accordingly. I tried a couple of things, such as generating early reflections, listening outdoors, but that's it.

We are leaving for holiday tomorrow, so I'm afraid that listening to that sound file will have to wait until mid-August. Thanks for the link.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Early reflections: 5 ms time window for sound source localisation? - KlausR. 00:30:05 07/12/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.