Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Echo threshold

Clicks are a popular test signal I think because the ear is maximally sensitive to them, so they have utility in mapping the perceptual limits of the ear/brain system. But the fusion threshold is known to depend on the nature of the program material, see forex Fig. 16:

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Technologyleadership/Documents/Scientific%20Publications/13686.pdf

Despite what Toole implies in his paper, early first reflections have deleterious effects:

"The requirement to place speakers at least 1m away from reflecting surfaces (measured from the tweeter) had been found empirically for box and panel type loudspeakers. All reflections are then delayed at least
6 ms, except for the floor reflection."

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/publications.htm

Linkwitz has made some attempts to codify what engineers, reviewers, and listeners who have played with dipole radiators have known for many years, that side wall first reflections should be suppressed or delayed (in my experience, the more the better) and that rear wall reflections should also be delayed as far beyond 5 msecs as practical and are then instrumental in the reproduction of depth. Also that polar response, both frequency and phase, must be uniform.

But as you point out, it seems that little systematic research seems to have been done on the issue. It remains for the most part a matter of practical art rather than scientific understanding.

Edits: 07/20/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.