Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: One can not have a high end system without a suitable room

>I don't believe that we are really disagreeing.<

If “room” includes the interaction between room and speakers, hence placement and the speakers’ off-axis behaviour, then we indeed agree.

>In addition, even if the room does not need treatment the WAF still affects the location of speakers and listening position, since the layout of all furniture in a room is likely to be affected by the location of speakers and listening chair/couch.<

When living rooms are used for music listening, WAF inevitably is a parameter, unless you’re single. That’s why I said that the fact that there is no principle need for reflection treatment is actually good news. No treatment always has the highest possible WAF. You have to select the loudspeakers accordingly though. In this respect the discussion on whatsbest is interesting. Bass boom and room mode issues can be addressed electronically, again with highest possible WAF.

>While we are at it, I would expand the list of interacting components to include the power amplifier(s) as well as the speakers and room.<

In particular cases certain amps may intact audibly differently with certain speakers

E. Brad Meyer, “The amp/speaker interface”, Stereo Review June 1991, p.53

In such cases it may be worth paying attention. This problem, however, is elegantly solved in active speakers. No more complex loads for the amps, each amp is optimized for the driver he is powering.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: One can not have a high end system without a suitable room - KlausR. 00:50:22 07/11/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.