Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

OK, let's assume I'm an imbecile (in the digital playback sense)

My current PC playback environment: Linux OS 64-bit (various versions lately including Mint and Archbang, presently ALSA sound module, also Pulse Audio, rip apps include Asunder and K3B, playback apps include DeadBeef and VLC, ASUS mainboard, AMD 3.2GHz quad core, 8GB RAM, VIA VT1708S DAC/ADC codec (http://www.via.com.tw/en/resources/pressroom/2006_archive/pr060222VT1708-HD-codec.jsp), several external USB 7200rpm Samsung 1TB HDDs, internal Kingston 96GB SSD, customised Fostex T50RP headphones, filtered mains board, better quality mains cable.

In a digital playback sense what am I doing wrong? Are the likely causes of my FLAC playback flaws due to DAC mis-processing and electrically-induced distortions?

Is there a blueprint for ideal digital red-book/FLAC or high-res/FLAC playback? Is there an agreed industry minimum standard or set-up? Is your set-up ideal? Do you ever store and listen to .wav files? Or is FLAC your standard "go-to"?

Do you listen to acoustically-recorded and other music? Have you recorded, mixed, edited and/or (re)mastered? Are you an advocate for "high-res" formats?

Then, may I also ask, do you presume an individual's sonic perception is quantifiable, empirically-measurable or objectively comparable?

-spindrifter-
"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

Edits: 01/21/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • OK, let's assume I'm an imbecile (in the digital playback sense) - spindrifter 21:40:16 01/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.