Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Perfect is the enemy of good

"If you do not believe this can be made to work then I question many more things."

It does work. It just doesn't work perfectly. In as much as at least one third of any DAC constitutes analog circuitry the Uncertainty Principle guarantees that it can not work perfectly. I am not nit-picking. Voltaire wrote, "Perfect is the enemy of good."

This is nothing but a (hard) engineering problem. One needs to define what it means to be good enough and then ascertain what level of performance is necessary. Then one needs to devise a way of reliably and quickly measuring whether a component is performing at the requisite level. At this point one can use any number of relatively straightforward hardware design techniques to achieve the result. It is possible that the resulting product will be "high end", i.e. affordable by only a minority of audiophiles, but I suspect that if this is true the situation won't last for long.

Note: it is unlikely that anyone whose mantra is "everything matters" will ever succeed in such a quest. They are defeated from the get-go by their attitude. One must believe in one's goal. This is the first prerequisite for success in any endeavor.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.