Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: An AA expert responds

It's either your player software, your operating system, your sound card driver, your sound card, the rest of your PC, your digital cable, your power cable(s) or your DAC. :-)

The easiest place to start is with the player software. However, this isn't necessarily the best solution to this "problem" since the root cause of the problem is that the DAC is not treating the signals coming from the computer as "bits". All things being equal a DAC with better isolation will sound better on WAV files as well and will make the choice of computer, digital cables, etc. less critical. Of course such a DAC may have other sonic problems...

I use cPlay. 99.5% of the time it is not decoding the FLAC, therefore there is no sonic degradation due to FLAC 99.5% of the time. Most of the remaining 0.5% is the start of a track where there is no music playing. I am unable to hear any degradation of the silence. So I don't worry about sonic degradation from FLAC. However, if I did I would use dBpoweramp and convert an entire album worth of FLAC files to WAV and then play those. This would involve only one or two mouse clicks and about 20 seconds wait for the conversion to complete. (Most of the new music that I get is already in the form of FLAC files, as it is downloaded from various web sites.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.