Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Actually

I understand perfectly what you said. If one designs a complete system one can of course adjust the individual components to give a higher level of performance within given design constraints. But this is completely impossible in the context of Computer Audio, which is predicated in building systems that leverage off of mass market hardware and commercial off the shelf software. However, this does not contradict what I have proposed. For example, if one tweaks the software one can reduce the amount of electrical noise that has to be rejected in clock and signal circuitry of a DAC. This may be a cost-effective way in building a one-box system, but in the context of computer audio it is completely impractical, among other reasons being the proprietary nature of the inner workings of the component parts of the computer system. In any event, this bespoke approach is fraught with many perils and comes at great expense. Indeed, this complex approach has failed. If not, why aren't you just using your DCS gear instead of dabbling in computer audio?

One can build a complete DAC that provides a high degree of isolation from the vagaries of amplitude and phase noise on the input digital stream while outputing an accurate representation of the encoded information provided by the format. In the case of a DSD DAC this can be done using no more than a few hundred transistors. One has some hope of getting good results with a careful execution of such a design. Contrast this simplicity with a typical PC. My audio PC uses about 100 billion transistors.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Actually - Tony Lauck 07:28:57 01/14/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.