Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
Here's what is, to me anyway, a weird scenario. I have a small tubed headphone amp that has a pretty noticeable hum no matter where and how I set it up, except for one position. The hum is independent of the volume, by the way, and is mostly relieved if I stand there and hold it. The tubed amp is connected to an outboard DAC.
If I have it sitting on another amplifier, a solid state amp called a Beta22, that is not on but is hooked up, plugged in and connected to my cd player, the tubed amp does not hum in the least. If I even pull one of the interconnects out of the solid state amp (at the cd player end), which is not on, the humming in the tubed amp starts up immediately.
To add to the mystery, if I put the tubed amp on a different amplifier that is hooked up to the cd player, just as the Beta 22 was, the hum is still there.
Any ideas what is going on?
Edits: 05/19/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Tube amplifier hum - firstname.lastname@example.org 13:23:19 05/19/17 (12)
- IMO the headamp transformer is radiating noise which causes the hum, but.. - 3+4=5 20:38:45 05/20/17 (0)
- RE: Tube amplifier hum - RGA 19:30:51 05/20/17 (0)
- RE: Tube amplifier hum - Palustris 08:57:45 05/20/17 (4)
- RE: Tube amplifier hum - email@example.com 13:00:47 05/20/17 (3)
- RE: Tube amplifier hum - FenderLover 08:34:26 05/20/17 (0)
- RE: Tube amplifier hum - Jonesy 06:36:27 05/20/17 (0)
- RE: Tube amplifier hum - airtime 14:09:25 05/19/17 (2)