Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Thank You

My pleasure.
I know for a fact that Jim Winey and his son were deeply troubled by the failure of their panels and were desperately seeking a cure. I used to work for a Magnepan dealer for the first half of the '80's, and it was utterly frustrating for us, too, and we went through hell in doing repair after repair.
One of the most frustrating things about Magnepan is that their marketing manager does NOT encourage tweaking. In fact when we experimented with running double Pans, he threatened to cut us off if we ever demoed the double Pan system. He blew his stack when I once commented that the Pans benefited from drilling and tapping the stands for a set of spiked feet. I believe he would like Magnepan to be like Bose in the industry.....
The double Pan system if you are curious consisted in running a second pair of Maggies, (a smaller model would do) alongside the front mains. You would position the mains as you normally would,but then would angle the side speakers to fire outboard. Imagine a sort of flat 'W' formation with a gap in the middle when viewed from the top. The result was significantly more bass, and a 3D imaging like you wouldn't believe. I believe we kept the tweeter inboard on the front firing pair and the tweeters ouboard on the outboard pair.
The result was a sort of pocket behind the panels where the presentation sounded like a group was sitting and performing. If you ever get a second pair of 'Pans, you ought to try it.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thank You - unclestu52 02:45:32 05/05/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.