Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Apogees

Well actually many of the Apogees (like Caliper Sig, Duetta Sig, Stage, Studio grand) don't have a true metal ribbon tweeter. It is actually a plastic (kapton) ribbon with three (or six in the later models)aluminum strips glued on to make the motor. Unlike the Maggie true ribbon, which I think can sound quite metallic with certain sounds or levels, there is not a hint of metallic coloration in these ribbons. You are likely thinking of the Scintilla, Diva, or Full Range when thinking about pure metal ribbons in Apogees. My girlfriend is also extremely sensitive to this coloration (My IRS Betas also had that metallic flavor in the highs and she hated them even though everything else was nearly perfect) and she has no problems with my Caliper Signatures (in fact she rather loves them). If you have not heard the versions with this type of midrange/tweeter then you really should as the sound is really world class (especially with regard to coherence).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.