Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Why is that?

Hi Dan:

You wrote: > the fact that orchestras in the
1800's liked such a heavy sound

Here's my problem with that...I'm not sure I understand the use of the word "heavy". Actually "transparent" would be a word I would use for the use of gut strings, less tension on the bow, vibrato as an ornament instead of a continuos artifact, natural trumpets, fewer players, smaller bore wind instruments and no music with bass below 42 Hz.

> I can't stand listening to recordings of the clarinet.
A oboeist (sp?) friend of my has the same problem, she can't
listen to the oboe. Ah! Here's another perception thing. When
I play I hear it very differently (my skull bones vibrate
from contact with the horn), it sounds deeper and more resonant.
When I hear them as a listener they sound whiney and shrill.
But David Shifrin is very good, I never liked Stoltzman's vibrato
or squeaks :) Your a vocalist eh? Tell me about Fischer-Dieskau,
what do the singers think of him

Interesting...I don't mind listening to singers. As a beginning vocalist I grew up on F-D. He was the greatest for lieder, and great in a limited number of opera roles. Unfortunately I never heard him "live" so it's hard to get a grasp of what he really sounded like in a "house". I get the impression he was pretty canny with the microphone and that's not a put-down. Today, one of my favorite albums of song is the "Vagabond" album of Bryn Terfel, a singer I have heard "live". Here's a guy that treats the English language (and other languages) like F-D treated German. The diction is outstanding. It's what I miss from most opera singers. Of course both voices have superb timbre, legato, etc. Well, better not get started on singers. As you can read, it is a topic that can be discussed ad infinitum.

I like Shifrin O.K. I saw Stolzman clown his way through the Copland and it ended up biting him back. I don't buy his recordings. Neville Marriner's son sounds quite good. I haven't decided if I like Sabine Meyer yet, but she's a superb player, no doubt about it. For an Eddie Daniel's classical recording I recommend the Brahms and Weber Quintets on Reference Recordings (possibly out-of-print). He studied with clarinet guru, Joe Allard and I think that explains a lot about the wonderful sound Eddie has.

Now, let's see, this is a planar speaker forum, right? :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Why is that? - Travis 14:54:31 06/03/00 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.