Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Perception of Maggie Bass response part II

I appreciate all the thoughtful feedback from those who responded to my post. Everyone had good points but none quite answered my question, probably because I wasn't very clear. I'm a mechanical design engineer by trade, with a lifetime of speaker design as a passion, and I'm familiar with practical application of the scientific method. In referring to my impressions of the difference in bass 'quality', I was not using the term as a value statement or in comparison to some benchmark of "quality". The difference in the sound 'quality' was not do to different sources, a different frequency, different sound pressure levels, different room environment, or differing speaker locations, or microphone placement--these had all been eliminated as variables. There must be another variable which hasn't been isolated yet, i just don't know what it is.

One of the responders stated that difference may be because Magnepan and electrostatic produce bass sound waves in an entirely differnt manner--this is simply not the case: So-called "sound" is nothing more or less than an individual's brain's perception of pressure waves, both within and outside of the range of humnan hearing (just because its a pressure wave at a frequency outside of the ear's ability to detect it doesn't mean we can't perceive it). ALL loudspeakers make sound by means of a moving element which transfers part of its vibrational energy to the air, so planar drivers are not really fundementally different than any other type of drivers, and don't launch a wave in a fundementally different way. I suspect that everybody reading from this Web Site is quite familiar with the host of differences between the sound of magnepan speakers in comparison to everything else, but these differences are do to the mechanical differences in the design and function of the loudspeakers, not because the operate under a different set of physical laws.

By the way, I have spoken to some of the design engineers working at Magnepan about my original question regarding the reason for the unmeasured but perceived difference in bass quality--they were familiar with the difference but they had no explantion for it either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.