Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Perception of Maggie Bass response

Hello,
My personal belief is that bass slam is an artificial expection which comes from people's ears getting conditioned from the sound of non acoustic instruments. People hear rock music live, and what are you hearing? Conventional drivers being driven by electronic instruments. We are surrounded by this music that is played through cone drivers in the supermarket, the car, the elevator etc. So a funny thing happens, our brains start to use this as a reference and you perceive it as being more "real". Take your average citizen from Vienna, circa 1750 and ask them this question. Don Giovanni, Zauberflote, the symphonies certainly didn't have anything approaching that.

Think about this, by the late 1800's orchestras (by all accounts) had a heavy, dark sound. They typically tuned below our present day A440 standard. Now look at the late twentieth century. Orchestra's are *bright*. Oftentimes an orchestra starts out at A440, and its well known that by the end of the work it has floated up to A445 or something. People prefer this penetrating, brighter sound. Why is that? I believe its the influence of popular music, setting the standard for what sounds "right" to our brains.

Now Maggies produce the most accurate bass I have ever heard. A 10 foot bass drum in Shostokovitch 1 will knock you off your feet with my 3.6's. The lower octaves of a bass clarinet have a clarity and weight that is stunning (speaking as a clarinetist). A piano's lower octaves is so palatable I feel I can reach out and touch the steel strings.

So if you want to get pounded by the sound of electronic instruments then get a cone speaker. If you want acoustic music then get a Maggie. My opinions, feel free to disagree.

-Dan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.