Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: An observation

Green Lantern,

You are absolutely correct. I will move the chair with its back to the glass slider for serious listening, so what I am working on is a "best fit" for casual listening with the chair in the corner.

I tried the long wall approach, which put the speakers 6 feet away from the chair. This presented several problems. First, the speakers felt physically intrusive being that close. Second, it potentially exposed the speakers to the morning direct sun that comes through that slider. While the blinds can be closed, it makes the room dark and spoils the morning sun effect in the room. Such are the trials of living in your sound room.

The doorway to the master bedroom is 70" from the glass slider. I have positioned the MMGs in the limage (am I spelling that right?) layout (speakers 9' from the slider and 10" from the side walls) when I had the audio cabinet and the TV back to back in the middle of the room as a sort of room divider. The sound was good, but the speakers were an obvious source of sound. I will try that arrangement again if I can figure out what to do with the loveseat. It seems like leaving it where it is would have the right channel firing directly into the side of it.

My current consideration, given the room, is whether used 3.3Rs or used 1.6 QRs (both $700 - $800) might be better suited to the room. That might allow me to sell my MMGs and upgrade my amp. Alternatively, I could acquire the 1.7is for $2000 less the value of the MMGs but then I will have to stick with the Adcom. It has also been suggested that I have the MMGs (or 1.6s) "gunned". That, too, would require sticking with the Adcom.

Your thoughts on these alternatives would be welcomed

Edits: 05/03/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.