Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

backwaves, and reflections on... reflections

Hi Hemholtz,

I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Kates does not report a decay-time advantage of dipole radiation due to the out-of-phase backwave, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. He attributes the perceptual differences betweem dipole and monopole bass to the in-room frequency response curves, and cites an earlier work which found that once the frequency response of a dipole and a monopole were precisely matched by equalization, they were perceptually indistinguishable. So I think the in-room frequency response is probably the dominant factor in our perception of low frequency sound quality.

I'm not sure what you mean by midrange and high frequency reflections being "late enough to be "unrelated" to the direct sound using music". Are you saying that reflections have no consequences at midrange and high frequencies? Or are you saying that reflections are inherently detrimental? I think you and I may have a different understanding of how the ear processes reflections, but I'm not sure what yours is.

I either don't understand or disagree with this statement: "if the intersection of reflections are late enough the direct sound of music will not be effected because the frequency will be different." First, the frequencies don't change over time, although the spectral balance of a reflection can be modified by the surfaces within the room (and even by passage through air). Second, the greater the spectral dissimilarity between a reflection and its original sound, the greater the detrimental effect on perceived timbre and the greater the potential contribution to listening fatigue.

Duke

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.