Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: unrelated

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Of course we gate the measurements if we want useful data on what a speaker is doing, and unless you have a huge room with the speakers up very high that 10-15 milliseconds you suggest is way too long a window to get clean data.

I agree with your suggestion to address the early reflections and diffuse the late ones, though I take it you're advocating absorbing the early ones whereas I prefer to diffuse them. The problem with using absorption panels for the early reflections is that they keep on absorbing and so suck a lot of energy out of the reverberant field, particularly at short wavelengths. The smaller the room, the more effect absorption panels have because within a given time interval many more reflections will strike and be absorbed by the panel. In my opinion a late-arriving, well energized, spectrally correct, highly diffuse, slowly decaying reverberant field contributes to timbral richness. My goal as far as room acoustics goes is to bring as many of the desirable characteristics of a good recital or concert hall into the home listening room as is practical.

You mentioned certain frequencies "being perceived too loud and hang a little too long to sound natural". In my opinion, this is a significant problem with most reproduced music. I believe the primary cause is loudspeaker radiation pattern anomalies, wherein the speakers are putting out a lot more energy into the reverberant field (6-18 dB more) at some midrange and treble frequencies than at others. Planars and horn speakers tend to be significantly better than cone-and-dome speakers in this regard.

Note that timbre is not established solely by the first-arrival sound, but is strongly influenced by reflections. I can explain why this is so if you would like.

Duke

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.