Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: unrelated

10ms-15ms is easily doable with line source dipoles like maggies. many times the only problem is the backwave. here's a measurement taken from the listening position one channel driven. i see one way out there at 17ms and it's less than 20% of impulse. note the gate is at 10ms. 10ms is usually pretty indicative of what the room sounds like in the high and mid frequencies.
i can't stress enough that slow decay is more often than not problematic. slow decay is almost always uneven. you want fast, even decay. what i see often is ineffective treatments. high frequency "suckout" is more often insufficient absorption in the midrange frequencies. cones and domes are famous in this regard due mostly to the floor reflection. a carpet or rug may absorb o.k. in the high frequencies but is still pretty reflective. this is the reason measurements need to be taken. just because there is a treatment somewhere doesn't mean it's an effective one. i personally don't want to listen to my room. recording artists and producers go to great lengths to record the music certain ways. i like it to sound just like the venue in which it was recorded whether that be a theater or a heavily treated vocal booth. you can't get that with slow decay.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.