Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: A theory of dipole bass sound quality

You can only ignore cone filtering with your head in a vice.

Otherwise, as you move your head and location in space, you will certainly hear as the comb filtering changes the response at your ears from moment to moment. You may not be able to "hear" what band is low or high, but it will affect your ability to relax into the music and discriminate the original spacial cues.

This is one reason why line source devices have such an advantage in terms of room acoustics. With proper placement you get almost no floor or ceiling bounce, and often no sidewall bounce either, so the at-ear response tends to be much better than traditional speakers.

Also, I think you are perceiving the mid-bass region as bass. The early roll-off of planars actually helps with most rooms, cutting down bass frequencies that would otherwise be boomy or sloppy.

Give me a decent 12" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure, an amp with at least some local feedback on the output stages, and the ability to place it properly in a well damped room and I will give you bass the equal of any planar.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.