Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Maximum Output

Dennis, I'm having trouble understanding what you are saying.

1. You said "...the advertised plate resistance is 800 ohms. I said ADVERTISED-- and yes, it will measure-out-- it's not wrong."

First you say the plate resistance is "advertised" as being 800 ohms.

Now this statement to me means that the plate resistance is something other than 800 ohms. But then you say it's not wrong?

So do you mean that the plate resistance is really 800 ohms?

If that is what you meant, why did you first say "advertised"?

So which is it? 800 ohms or something different?

2. You said "The JJ-2A3-40 will dissipate up to 40 watts, not crap-out at 15." but at 43ma and 250 volts that's only 10.75 watts of plate dissipation.

Why does it matter that the tube will do 40 watts if you are only going to use 10.75 watts?

As the tube operates along the load line, to the left of idle, the current goes up as the voltage goes down.

As the tube operates along the load line to the right of idle, the current goes down as the voltage goes up.

The plate dissipation stays (more or less) the same.

3. You said "Into 2.5K? That's coasting on a Banana Peel for it. This thing could drive 1K! No, I'm not going to design for 1K, but I'll bet that this tube could drive it."

Didn't you already say the plate resistance IS 800 ohms?

If the plate resistance is 800 ohms then a 1k ohm load impedance would cause a very vertical load line and the harmonic distortion would be very high because the operation to the right of the idle point, following the load line, will drop almost immediately into the non-linear region of the plate curves.

The fact that the tube will dissipate 40 watts does not change that. Only a lower plate resistance would change that or a MUCH higher idle current. The angle of the load line is directly related to the plate resistance not the tube's plate dissipation capability.

In all three of the above examples I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Dennis, I've been to Montana and I know first hand that people from Montana speak English but when I read your posts I don't get the sense that you are speaking English. I don't know what language you are using and I don't understand what you are saying.

Do you?

In all honesty,
Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.