Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: More

That's a very important point that Voltsec made--- cause a lot of people will initially say I don't care what my amp is doing down at 50 or 40 or 30 hertz... cause my speakers only go down to X... but as Voltsec points out by then the damage is done....

Your response--- using a high pass filter--- it's generally regarded as a taboo approach in hi end circles--- but I think the approach has a lot of initial merit to it. Frank Van Alstine in the mid eighties started using a high pass filter on the input of his ST-70 mod/circuit cause (his reasoning) it did not allow the circuit to be swamped with frequencies which it could not handle.

Or spec and use a transformer with really, really good capabilities in this respect (i.e., large signal goodness).

And to bring this back to "creative tapsmanship"-- i.e., ratioing transformer impedances-- don't do it--- your not likely on the vast majority of transformers to have enough "surplus" L to keep the loadline from becoming a beachball. And your tube really won't be all that happy with that.

MSL

Builder of MagneQuest & Peerless transformers since 1989

Edits: 01/29/15 01/29/15 01/29/15 01/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: More - mqracing 10:29:21 01/29/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.