Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Maximum Output

Obtaining correct Impulse response under changing musical conditions is the electronics that produces the best musical results.

NOTE: The QUALITY of the output trans is a larger factor than its loading-- if loading is already in the Ballpark. Mike and I designed my newest transformers for the 43 ma. load.

Guess what? We decided on 2.5K-- again. We changed a few other things in the transformer formula to get what I want musically. I agree that extra inductance helps "control" woofers. Guess what again-- it's the WRONG way to control woofers! It ALSO slows down the woofer's impulse response, and reduces overall clarity..

I have a proven way to absolutely control woofers-- my design does it to perfection. Build a LSES power supply, and then get an output tube that can be loaded "hard" without distorting music, and then use short, large wiring in the amp to tighten the speaker-to amp's components interface. Sure does work for me!.

I won't discuss whether either of us transformer nuts "doesn't know much about electronics". That depends-- Whose electronics?

Another factor is the 2A3 vacuum tube. If you're running or calculating the NOS RCA-- single-plate or BiPlate-- I don't care-- I've used 'em all-- I do feel for you!

Before you play GOD, why not get some GOOD tubes, and MEASURE the impulse/loading tests on THOSE? I'm thinking EML and JJ-2A3-40, maybe an ELROG some fine day?.

Heck! I could load-up a JJ-2A3-40 at 1.5K, and it would still Kick-Ass as long as the power supply could support it, and distort very little, if run right. No, I'm not that crazy, 2.5K is a terrific compromise with THIS transformer design in THIS amp.

The JJ 2A3 triode-- this isn't Pentode-loading!-- is very tolerant of loading variations, which allows one to "load 'er-up", and get insanely different results than those old tubes (and antiquated published specs) could ever deliver.

What happens if you sock an old 2A3 into one of my amps? Nothing, really. It runs fine at 43 ma. But is it an ideal match for this design? NO. The JJ and the EML are.

The old formulas DO NOT APPLY to modern tubes. Especially the ones from Czech and Germany. SOB!!!!

I want to try some ELROGS! Can anyone talk ELROG into a 2A3 and maybe a 45?

Do I have to step down (musically) to a 300B to get an Elrog?

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.