Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Maximum Output

Up tapping (16 ohms on 8 ohm tap) does indeed double the reflected impedance seen by the output tube.

Because the impedance has changed but the inductance of the primary has not, the -3db point, in Hz, of the bass response will double.

If, for instance, the -3db point (of the response of the transformer, not the system as a whole. There are many other things involved with that) would have been 20Hz with 8ohms on the 8ohm tap then it will be 40Hz with 16ohms on the 8ohm tap.

There's nothing magic about 3.9k ohms as a load.

If you know the plate resistance, the voltage across the tube and the idle current you want to run......the formula will tell you what a good load impedance, for that tube under those conditions, will be.

3.9k ohms just happens to be a good load for Dennis' 2a3 assuming he's running 250 volts, and 43ma. with a plate resistance of 800ohms as he seems to report.

What impedance would be good for your 45 the way you're running it? I don't know. I don't know the particulars of your output stage but 10k on a 45 is probably pretty good.

Once you do the math you can always go a little higher giving up some max power for even lower HD.

BTW, I also up tap my ElectraPrint PSSS output transformers.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.