Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Absolute Sound and All That Jazz

Funny, I was thinking about just that this afternoon after learning that I was wrong about the $5K each situation, it's actually $15K/pair which is $7500 each.

I figured the parts for a PAIR even with EML 2A3s would be somewhere between $3300 and $3800, with a $600 allowance for capacitors EACH. Could be less at OEM pricing and quantity discounts. Since I don't know exactly what caps are used, it's a blurry zone, but $600 is generous, could be less, could be a little more (exchange rates shipping etc..)

Here's my ballpark math:

2 x Hammond PT 350
2 x MQ OPT 400
2 x EML 2A3 630
4 x chokes (those) 100
6 sockets, fuses, switch, jacks, hdware 200 (could be more or Less)
2 x chassis 400 (steel powder coated) seems high
2 Filament trans 60
2 x 5U4GB + 2 x 7B4 50
pile o caps 1200 crazy but probably is
thermistor, RF chokes, "special wire" 150 ? Seems high
Misc + shipping taxes what? 200

Total $3740/2 = $1870 each

I believe it could be done for $100's less depending on a variety of things, not that I'd bother. Even if I believed in this concept, there
are various areas where quality could be improved for LESS $. I understand that in a new manufacturing world you need to be able to source all the parts, usually meaning "in current production". But considering the low numbers of these produced, it could be done with some
superior grade surplus stuff, in limited quantities, of course.
They don't make 7B4's anymore, but there's 1000's of them out there NOS for peanuts. Same with 5U4's. JJ 2A3's would save $100'S too.

Hours go into a build like this, drilling, installing and then soldering.
But if you've done it before even once, and it's just a repeat, then it's MUCH faster. Most of the time in one off DIY builds is decision making!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.