Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

Couple points to make for now ........

(1) Almost all who have piled on and posted negative or demeaning comments in this thread so far, NEVER HEARD THIS AMP, but Frihed89 has been to an audio show to actually hear this amp.

I suggest ALL read Frihed89's honest entries in the body of this thread.

Also, look up "lakerfan" posts on this Forum, who claims to have owned over 50 or 60 SET amps. Lakerfan only will listen to a Larry D. Moore Squared Ten amp and his Serious Stereo 2A3 amp....wonder why ?? Because they both excel, both are superior.

If "lakerfan's" comments interest you, also read Smart845 over in the UK's comments on the DC Type 45 amp we did together last year, based on Dennis' build principles. Unlike Grant, Barry spent the money to do it correctly with (a) wire and (b) film bypass capacitors....a whole lot of money !!! Read his review of his amp. I am waiting on Al and Andy to visit Barry and his rig !! :-)

(2) Contrary to what has been written by someone in this post, the innovative supply in a Serious Stereo amp is certainly not deficient at all, but rather, it is just the opposite - the BEST POSSIBLE supply to get the most out of a DHT DC amplifier.

It sounds like the music, and NOT like the time constants of high DCR chokes and over-filtering of the Finals. A conventional tube supply, by the book, for the last 100 years, is screwed up, always playing back music "out-of-time-" ..... ( in the AMP's time, and not in the time of the music. )

Hell, in 1982, the FIRST thing Bob Fulton told me about building a DHT amp was that all chokes have to be 20 Ohms or less in DCR. We use 10 Ohm stuff, or lower, now.

People who have HEARD the more innovative "modern" type of supply, when well executed, ( and I bet FEW of this thread's negative posters have come to a show and heard it ) ....immediately understand the difference.

At the end of the day, the two most important things are (1) how does the amp sound and (2) is it reliable and able to maintain its high performance over a long time.

Personally, no one "I" know, does better tube amps than Dennis Fraker, YMMV, fine with me !!

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 11/18/14 11/18/14 11/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.