Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Me too...

"foolishly THINK its representaive of a Dennis Fraker build, and have ass/u/me/d that for five plus years. It gets awfully old, the non-truth."

This is getting closer to the Real question. Thanks Jeff.

Question: How likely, and to what degree will 2 amps built with the same circuit, nearly identical operating points (coached, remember), many parts exactly the same on advise, sound different from each other?

We know what Jeff thinks, which is, there's no comparison.

Of course the "foolishly" built amp has nothing to do with advisors /proponents of it, there couldn't any foolishness there, right?

What has been claimed many times is that my choice of wire(s) is the prime cause of the "no comparison" status. So tell me, now that y'all
can see them both, how likely is this true? Examine the actual amount
of wire on either example. BTW, I did use solid silver wire from plate to grid, and stranded silver on the OPT, which has a partial silver secondary as well. My large gauge copper less than 6" long ground bus, has been named as a huge problem. It's the white wire in the pic posted by Tre. It goes from the center tap of the LOWER DCR PT (than the Hammond in the other amp) to a point near the input. In DF's build the stock red/yellow CT wire of the Hammond is present and connects to the "very special" silver wire under one of the two wires with the blue heat shrink. This is what Jeff is talking about. No guessing anymore.

Next is the obvious absence of multiple bypass caps, but I did at least get a decent one of the correct value, as coached, a Dynamicap, and bypassed it with another 0.01uf Dynamicap too. According to Jeff, I FOOLISHLY assumed there couldn't be a BIG difference. What do you think?

Next, it has been stated by both JM and DF that "a Dennis Fraker build"
is something so special that us morons just can't get it. Now that you can SEE what's been talked about, you can make up your own mind.

The 3 main reasons that are claimed to be the difference between junk and gold, are now here for inspection.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.