Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Let me expand ....

I generally enjoy Art's writings with the caveat that if he isn't writing about a restoration project he is moaning that audio isn't as good as it used to be. But, he is intelligent and he likes XTC so I read him. Sometimes he does write some irksome things - this column was one of those occasions though that isn't what I posted about.

As I first thumbed through my June 2014 issue one thing stood out - the measurement graphs of the Lector DAC. I am an engineer so I'm interested in measurement results (kudos to JA) though I doubt they relate to perceived sound quality (if anything there is an inverse relationship, poor measurement = better subjective reception). Anyway, a quick look shows that there is something very wrong, I mean seriously very wrong, with the operation of that DAC. The time-domain low-level signal is horrendous and JA even reinstated the input-output linearity sweep that hasn't been seen in a CD/DAC review for years because modern players ace the test, except in this case.

So, where does the irony come in? After I read Art's column I didn't particularly agree with him about 'artisinal' designers (I am an engineer after all) but wouldn't hold that against him. However, if you consider the Lector an 'artisinal' product then it is a total irony as the thing does not work properly as a DAC. Either that sample is damaged - not an encouraging thing that an artisan would supply it - or the design is plainly bad, again not a good quality in an artisan.

The irony would be there if the Lector were reviewed by someone else but is increased because Art did the review and he liked the product. And this leads me back to the question about the correlation of sound quality and measurements. It would be convenient if good sound went with good measurements but often it doesn't and I wonder if having some imperfection is beneficial, eg. tube amps, NOS DACs and, of course, vinyl. Is, therefore, an artisinal designer one who can manipulate these imperfections for better sound? I contest not if it means the thing doesn't work properly. And if it doesn't work properly is that because the designer doesn't care (ie deliberate) or doesn't know? Your call next time you are comparing equipment.

And lastly, as I just mentioned vinyl and imperfections, let's all agree that analog/vinyl sounds great. I like it, Art likes it, Fremer likes it (!) but let's agree not to suspend all disbelief in trying to justify that it is objectively better as well. Let's just agree it is preferable, if not better. So does it matter that a vinyl pick-up generates it's own signal (ignoring that the motor has to turn the platter) and why is this different from tape? Again ignoring the motor, as the tape moves past the head does it not induce a voltage without the aid of a power supply?

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.