Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Let me expand ....

I do not condone the use of torture, even in statements.
Irony can work on many levels but, to me, the most obvious is that an artisan would really care about his/her design. Based on JA's measurements (link below) the Lector has real performance problems. What would make a successful DAC would be to try to reproduce each step in the digital word with an equally sized analog voltage to as low a level as possible - not in this case. Pretty much every other set of DAC measurements that have appeared in Stereophile over the last couple of years are similar, so it can be done, and the subjective reviews are good too.

I didn't understand your comment about not being novel - you are right that the objective vs subjective debate is not new - and, if you already accept that measurements don't matter at all then, perhaps, the irony is on me for caring.

In another branch of this topic you asked what makes a good engineer. Well, I have objective goals to meet and I know how close I get to meeting them with the associated trade-offs. In the professional audio world I suspect things are pretty much the same. There was a recent post to the General Asylum about John Curl (including a link to his collected thoughts) - he seems to have hit the perfect balance for the audiophile world.

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.