Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

For me one thing has become clear

At least with digital we are no closer to understanding what makes it really sound good than we were 25 years ago.

I have a 20 year old DAC, the Kinergetics KCD-55 ultra that used from its day the best of the best DAC chipset the UltraAnalog D20400 20 bit ladder type DAC. It measures merely ok by today's standards (not counting the Lector!) but sounds with redbook better than most I have heard. My Monarchy M24 is also at the top of the heap with 20 year old technology (but a true tube output stage).

It used to be thought that if you eliminate the jitter and if you get the linearity sufficiently good then they should all sound the same...similar stupid thinking went with amp design.

What I have found is that DACs based on Ladder technology sound generally better...of course exceptions exist (Audio Aero players are a good example). Maybe our brains really don't like all the funny math going on there to "create" perfection.

The same seems to be true for amps. Read the work of Cheeer and Geddes...Geddes found ZERO correlation with THD and IMD for amp distortion...then he proceeded to find a correlation based on a different set of metrics.

Cheever, approaching the problem from a different direction came up with a slightly different system for judging amp "goodness". The point is that both suggest that poorly measuring amps can sound really good IF they are designed a particular way...the path to the objective IS important it seems.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.